Buscar este blog

Datos personales

viernes, 10 de febrero de 2012

ENGLISH IV, FIRST PARTIAL EXAM UNITS 7-8


Universidad Tecnológica De Santiago
UTESA

Daniel E. Rodríguez C,M.A.

Grammar
Passive Voice: Present and Past .
-Rewrite the sentences using the passive voice.
Edison invented electricity.
Electricity was invented by Edison.
  1. Christopher Columbus discovered America.
People all over the world buy Coca-Cola.
Ronaldo scored three goals yesterday.
People spend a lot of money on clothes.
The police took the criminal to prison.
Present Perfect; Just .
-Rewrite the recent events in the sentences using just.
I visited my mother (this morning).
I’ve just visited my mother.
  1. I spoke to Lucy (a minute ago).
He finished his lunch (some minutes ago).
She arrived in Atlanta (a few hours ago).
She started a new job (yesterday).
Sorry, Mr. Barclay left (a few seconds ago).
Present Perfect; Already & yet .
-Peter is preparing a vacation. Look at his list. What has he already done? What hasnt he done yet? Make sentences using already (4) or yet (8).
Change some money. 8
He hasn’t changed any money yet.
  1. Reserve a hotel room
Buy the plane tickets.
Wash his clothes.
Pack his suitcase.
Read the guidebook.

Vocabulary
money words.


-Choose the right word.
He makes / does a lot of money every month.
  1. I spend / invest a lot of money on clothes.
Have you ever invested / spent money in property?
He’s a famous actor. He earns / wins a lot of money.
The car I like costs / affords a fortune.
He wastes / loses his money on stupid things and then has to borrow / save money.
-Match the words below with their definitions.
tip / sales / bargain / advertising / demonstration / cheap
the opposite of expensive = cheap
  1. A period when shop prices are cheaper.
Something you buy at a very cheap price.
What companies rely on to sell their products.
A group of people protesting in public about a cause
A voluntary payment not included in the price.
make & do.
-Put the expressions in the right column.
your job / a mess / some good / your best / a difference / money / damage / business / homework / progress / lunch
make
do
lunch




-Complete the dialogues with phrases from the box.
  • Can I have the bill, please?
  • Excuse me, the person who was waiting on me has disappeared.
  • Is there anything else I can get you, ma’am?
Could I have breakfast brought to room 15, please?
Could I speak to the manager, please?
I’d like to change some money, please.
I’d like to buy two tickets for tomorrow’s performance, please.
  • Excuse me, I ordered fish, not chicken!
Excuse me, I ordered a pizza one hour ago. Is there a problem?
Listen, I actually wanted to get some information but I was disconnected …
  • Can I pay by credit card?

A: Can I have the check, please?
B: Yes, of course.
  1. A:
B: No, could you bring us the check, please?
  1. A:
B: Sorry, we only accept cash.
  1. A:
B: Right away, ma’am. Is that for one or two people?
  1. A:
B: Certainly, sir. Would you like dollars?
  1. A:
B: No problem. How would you like to pay?
  1. A:
B: I’m not sure if he’s here. Would you mind holding the line?
  1. A:
B: Sorry about the confusion, sir. Let me help.
  1. A:
B: Sorry, we’re having problems with the lines …
  1. A:
B: I’m very sorry, sir, the traffic’s terrible tonight. It should be there in five minutes.
  1. A:
B: Sorry, ma’am, I’ll bring your fish immediately.

Error analysis .
-Find and correct the mistakes.
I I’d like to change some money, please.
  1. Who makes the shopping in your family?
I like spending money in clothes.
He’s come back to Toronto yet.
The radio was invented for Marconi .
Those pictures were paint by Goya.


Grammar
Past Perfect& Simple Past.
-Complete with the right tense.
Before he died, he had become a millionaire.
  • Before Bill Gates (be) 25, he already (become) one of the richest men in the world.
Last weekend I (meet) a friend who I (not see) for many years.
We (arrive) to the theater so late that the movie already (start).
He finally (admit) yesterday that he never (see) that man in his life.
She (feel) very happy last week because she (pass) all her exams.
Simple Past Passive.
-Rewrite the headlines using the Simple Past passive.
Authorities close local pub.
A local pub was closed by authorities.
  1. Hollywood Nominates Brad Pitt for Oscars.
Fires Devastate Australian Forests.
Tiger Kills Child in Local Zoo.
Parents Abandon baby on City Streets.
Helen Hicks Arrested … Again Last Night.
Past Perfect, Simple Past & Passive

-Complete with the right tense.
Before Elvis Presley moved (move) to Memphis, he had lived (live) in Tupelo, Mississippi.


The King of Rock ‘n’ Roll
Elvis Aaron Presley 1(be born) in Tupelo, Mississippi on January 8th, 1935. His family 2(move) to Memphis, Tennessee in 1948 and he 3(graduate) from Humes High school there in 1953. His singing career 4(start) in 1954 and in 1956 he already 5(become) an international star. He 6(know) as ‘Elvis the Pelvis’. In 1967, Elvis 7(get married) to Priscilla who soon became pregnant and gave birth to a daughter, Lisa Marie. At the age of 36, he 8(receive) the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. When he 9(die) at his Memphis home, Graceland, on August 16th, 1977, after years of success and numerous medical and drug problems, he 10(have) many big hits in the charts and 11(star) 33 successful films. He also 12(win) three Grammy Awards and 13(sell) millions of records, more than any other artist. He 14(consider) one of the most important figures of 20th-century popular culture and 15 (see) by many as the father of rock and roll.
Vocabulary
See, watch & LOOK AT .
-Complete with the right verb and tense.
I saw my friend Tom in the park yesterday.
  • When I … a movie yesterday, the lights went out.
me when I speak to you!
I need to … you tomorrow at 8 o’clock.
What program (you) … now?
What (you) … ? Some pictures.
  • When I arrived at the theater, I realized I already … the movie.
You have to … it to believe it.
Can you … the children for me–I need to go to the mall.
If I can, I … the game tonight.
  • I’d love to … you again. Gossip & newspaper language.
  1. Match the expressions below with their definitions.
attractive / private life / tabloids / scandal / articles / newspapers/ headlines / paparazzo / magazine / love affair / jealous
a good-looking and interesting person = attractive
  • shocking public behavior
the personal and not public side of people
an emotional and sexual relationship between two people not married to each other
afraid or angry when your partner is liked or admired by others
journalists write these for newspapers and magazines
serious publications with news
sensationalist newspapers
the titles of articles in newspapers
a kind of monthly or weekly paper with different articles and photos usually for a particular group of people
a reporter that follows and tries to publish stories or photos about famous people

Error analysis.
-Find and correct the mistakes
I lived in USA during for 2 months in 1997.
  1. Did you watched the movie yesterday?
When I had arrived at the party, everybody had gone home.
Everyone were shocked by the news.
He is arrested yesterday.
I’m agree with you, she’s not very nice.














No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Archivo del blog